Got leftover ham from the holidays? Fantastic!!! You can now try one (or two) of these 14 amazing leftover ham recipes to transform your blah cold ham into something totally exciting. From hearty soups and sandwiches to exciting salads and casseroles, there is something for everyone!
But before we get into the recipes, let’s talk about how to properly store your leftover ham, so you can enjoy it with these 14 delicious recipes by scrolling further down!
P.S. Need help with selecting the right type of ham? I’ve got you covered!
HOW LONG CAN YOU REFRIGERATE LEFTOVERS FOR?
Leftover ham can be refrigerated for up to 5 days.
But here’s a word of caution: refrigerate the leftovers within 2 hours after it’s cooked. This reduces contamination.
CAN I FREEZE LEFTOVER HAM?
You can freeze leftovers for up to 2 months and only once. So how do you do that?
- Step 1. Allow the ham to cool in the refrigerator. Decide if you are freezing the whole ham or smaller portions. I do smaller portions, especially if there’s so much leftover ham and if you look at the recipes below you’re going to want to!
- Step 2. If you’re doing smaller portions, then cut the ham accordingly. Paper towel off any excess moisture and place the ham in a freezer bag(s).
- Step 3. Wrap the freezer bag in aluminum foil and then place it in another freezer bag(s). This will prevent a freezer burn!
- Step 4. Label the freezer bag(s) with the name and date.
TIP: Don’t throw away the bone! You can make a delicious ham broth. If not making the broth right away, you can freeze the ham bone for later as well.
HOW DO YOU WARM UP LEFTOVERS?
Transfer the frozen ham into the refrigerator to thaw for 24-48 hours. Forgot to thaw it ahead? No problem!
Here’re 2 ways to quickly thaw a frozen ham:
- Defrost it in the microwave (defrost function)
- Or place the ham in cold water in an airtight bag
How to not dry out the ham:
- Step 1. Wrap the leftover ham in aluminum foil and place it on a roasting pan. Place some water in the bottom pan.
- Step 2. If you have glaze, brush it over or alternatively make your own but this depends on the leftover recipe you choose.
- Step 3. Reheat at 325°F until it reaches an internal temperature of 135-140°F.
TIP: No more than 10 minutes per pound!
HERE ARE MUST TRY LEFTOVER HAM RECIPES:
MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH from She Wears Many Hats
HAM GOO SANDWICHES from The Speckled Palate
MINI HAM & CHEESE CALZONE from Culinary Ginger
CHEESY HOT HAM & BROCCOLI CRESCENT POCKETS from The Creative Bite
Soups with Leftover Ham
HAM AND BEAN SOUP from WonkyWonderful
INSTANT POT RED BEAN AND RICE from Mom Foodie
SLOW COOKER HAM AND BEAN SOUP from Dinner at the Zoo
CROCK POT LEFTOVER HAM BONE SOUP from Simple Nourished Living
SLOW COOKER HAM, CORN AND POTATO SOUP from Sweet & Savory
Salads with leftover ham
DEVILED HAM SALAD from Savory Tooth
HAM AND SWISS SALAD from Neighbor Food
CHOPPED HAM & DIJON DILL SALAD from Running to the Kitchen
Casseroles with Leftover Ham
HAM AND EGG HASH WITH POTATOES from The Cooking Bride
HAM en KAAS SOUTTERT from Greedy Gourmet
This post was originally published on March 29, 2019, and last updated on February 20, 2020.
Stay connected and join Busy Cooks community:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
Comments + Reviews