This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Easy baked cod with panko is super quick dinner in just 25 minutes!
Baked Cod with Panko
- 4 (4-6oz) cod filets
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh chopped parsley
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with a foil, or parchment paper, and lightly spray olive oil.
- Mix egg white and Dijon mustard with a fork.
- Place Panko, lemon pepper and salt in a large plastic bag, or a large plate, and mix everything together.
- Dredge cod in the prepared egg white mixture, shake the excess off and then place it into the bag with panko. Lightly press the panko onto the fish and place the breaded fish on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the fish is golden brown and internal temperature reads 145°F.
- Serve immediately with side of tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
If you’re tired of the same fish recipes, or new to cooking seafood, this baked cod with panko will not disappoint and it’s so forgiving!
This seafood dish is healthy, flavorful and so good for your entire family too! Kids generally love anything crispy, so give this a try for those picky eaters.
How to make baked cod with panko:
- Place egg whites in a shallow plate, and Panko in a plastic bag, or another shallow plate.
- Dry cod filets with paper towels, then add them into egg whites.
- Shake off excess egg whites and dredge them in Panko. Pat the breadcrumbs well into the fish.
- Now, place the breaded filets on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
While fish is baking, prepare your favorite side dishes. I shared my favorites below!
How do I make my panko crisp?
Pat down your cod filets with a paper towel. Panko loves moisture and absorbs it super-fast!
Also, ensure you bake the cod filets at the correct high temperature suggested as high heat allows Panko to really crisp up.
A lower temperature will cause the juices of the cod to leak out fast. And you’ll end up with soggy, mushy crust.
Is there a difference between breadcrumbs and panko?
Breadcrumbs are made of a variety of different breads and crusts with a finer crumb.
Whereas Panko is made from crustless white bread that is processed into flakes and then dried.
Panko absorbs less oil and stays crispier due to its dryer and flakier consistency.
Does Panko have wheat?
Yep, it does. Panko is a Japanese-style bread crumb made from white bread without the crusts. There’re gluten free panko options should you have a wheat intolerance.
Is cod healthy and safe to eat?
Cod is high in protein, low in fat and packed with nutritious vitamins and minerals.
What do you to serve with breaded cod?
Baked cod pairs so well with pretty much anything, but here’re my favourites!
If you enjoyed this cod recipe try out my Pan Seared Cod with Cherry Tomato Sauce.