This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
This creamy cauliflower soup has a luxuriously velvety texture with a hint of warm curry flavor. You can easily keep this soup vegan, topping it with crunchy croutons. Or sprinkle some cheese or bacon bits for a more indulgent meal. A quick and easy 30-minute dish guaranteed to satisfy the whole family!
This delicious creamy cauliflower soup is a satisfying comfort meal, perfect for meatless Monday and/or for lunch.
You can easily make it vegan using a vegetable broth and garnishing with vegan toppings.
How to make this creamy soup:
- Sauté shallots and garlic with melted butter. Cook and stir frequently, for about a minute, until it’s nice and aromatic.
- Stir in flour and curry powder and cook for another 2 minutes. Pour in the broth and deglaze the pan.
- Add chopped cauliflower and mix well. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower has softened, add it to your blender and blend till smooth. Place it back into the dutch oven and stir in the heavy cream.
Add your garnishes and enjoy!
How do you thicken cauliflower soup?
This recipe yields nice and thick soup, as is. Here’s how we achieve that thick and creamy consistency.
- Toasting a little bit of flour thickens the soup.
- The ratio of cauliflower and broth is important for proper consistency.
- Finally, blend the soup in a blender for smooth and creamy consistency. I’ve tried with my immersion blender, but it wasn’t as smooth.
What garnishes can I use?
This creamy soup is so versatile, you can add all sorts of garnishes to it. Here’re my favorite toppings:
- Fresh parsley – Flat leaf or curly leaf, you choose.
- Bacon bits – a must for me, especially when I have made ahead a batch!
- Green onions – green part only.
- Hot sauce – Tabasco, anyone?
- Croutons adds amazing texture!
- Cheese – Shredded cheddar or pepper jack are great options!
How to store a cauliflower soup?
Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 4 days. This creamy cauli soup can be made ahead and stored in the fridge and reheated when required.
You can also freeze this soup for up to 1 month.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know once you’ve tried it by leaving a comment below or sharing a photo and tagging @busy_cooks on Instagram!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1 head of cauliflower, about 2lbs, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup heavy cream, optional
- Bacon bits
- Green onions
- Hot sauce
- In a large Dutch oven pot, melt butter and add minced shallots and garlic. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about a minute.
- Stir in flour and curry powder and cook for another 2 minutes, or so, stirring frequently to prevent burning. In this step, we’re cooking off raw flour taste and blooming the curry spice.
- Pour in broth and deglaze the pan well.
- Add chopped cauliflower, mix well and cover the pot. Bring it to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer the soup for about 20 minutes.
- Once the cauliflower is nice and soft, carefully transfer the soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Be extra cautious, as it’s a little dangerous to blend hot soup. If your blender has a small cap on top, remove it, so that the steam can escape, or it can explode. You can also use an immersion blender instead.
- Transfer the soup back into the pot and stir in heavy cream.
- Serve the soup topped with garnishes of your choice. Chopped parsley and bacon bits are my favorite!