Why you’ll love this recipe:
This super quick and easy beef stir fry is our family favorite! Skip the takeout, homemade beef and broccoli is as just quick and satisfying as from your local takeout. Bonus: it’s healthy too!
I love stir fries, because they contain a balance of protein, vegetables, and carbohydrates all in one dish. And you can change it up weekly too!
Key Ingredient Notes:
- Steak – You can various cuts of steak for making this stir fry. My recommendations are sirloin steak, flank steak or top round steak.
- Broccoli – You can use fresh or frozen broccoli for this recipe.
- Chineses stir fry sauce – This homemade sauce is incredible and versatile! I made a double batch as part of my weekly meal prep!
How to make beef and broccoli stir fry:
First, slice your steak thinly. Then brown the beef in a skillet over medium high heat and transfer the cooked beef onto a clean plate.
Don’t crowd the pan too much, or you’ll end up steaming the meat instead of browning. Work in batches, if necessary.
Add oil into now empty skillet and saute the broccoli florets and carrots until nice and tender. Notice how broccoli turns bright green color once cooked!
Then add stir fry sauce and beef into the pan, bring everything to a boil and cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Cut the steak into super thin slices against the grain. That way beef cooks fast and stays nice and tender.
- Chop up the broccoli and carrots in advance, and the dinner will take 15 minutes. Alternatively buy precut veggies.
- Set the rice on the stovetop, or in an Instant Pot, before you start cooking the stir fry, so that everything is ready at the same time.
- Make this Chinese stir fry sauce up to a week in advance as part of your weekly meal prep.
Refrigerate leftover stir fry in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a microwave for 2 minutes.
No, you don’t need to. Boiling it tends to make it soft and then it can go mushy.
Yes, you can, but the sauce will look cloudy and taste starchy.
Hungry for more stir fries?
If you love stir fries as much as we do, check out our time-tested stir fry recipes!
Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
Easy Beef & Broccoli Stir Fry
- 1 lb sirloin steak Note 1
- 12 oz broccoli florets about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot julienned
- Sesame seeds for garnish optional
- Green onions sliced green part, for garnish, optional
Chinese stir-fry sauce
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2 inch ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- To prep, cut the beef into thin slices against the grain. Cut the broccoli into small pieces. Mix the marinade, if you’re making a fresh batch.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Once oil is shimmering, add beef slices and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer into a clean plate.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil and heat it.
- Add broccoli florets and carrots and cook for about 4 minutes, or until nice and tender.
- Pour in stir-fry sauce and add beef slices. Bring it to a boil and cook for another minute or 2 minutes, or until sauce if thickened.
- Serve over hot rice with sesame seeds and/or green onions.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.