This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
This easy Chicken Cacciatore in a slow cooker calls for only 5 main ingredients!! The secret to tender juicy chicken is in the right cut! Choose chicken thighs, because breast meat came out dry and chalky in our testing. And no need to thaw those frozen chicken, because it’ll be cooked perfectly in the slow cooker. This hearty and saucy comfort food won’t disappoint!
Easy Chicken Cacciatore Tips:
- This easy chicken cacciatore is cooked in a slow cooker, which means it requires minimal hands-on time! Dinner practically cooks itself!!
- Only 5 main ingredients!!! Every ingredient is here for a reason. Each one adds flavor and play a key role. You can add ingredients, like bell pepper, but please don’t remove anything and expect a good result.
- Use only chicken thighs for this slow cooker meal. Because we’re cooking this dish in a slow cooker for extended period, chicken breast comes out dry and chalky. I tried it, and believe me, it wasn’t a winner. Darker meat cooks much better! Oh and you can throw in those frozen thighs without even thawing!!! Now, that’s a winner in my book.
- When preparing this chicken cacciatore, I like to layer the ingredients in certain order. First goes chicken thighs, season them with salt and pepper. Then evenly spread garlic and onion slices over the chicken. Top everything with mushroom slices and then pour the pasta sauce over the mushrooms. And that’s it! No need to stir or mix anything, just cover and cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low.
Easy Chicken Cacciatore in Slow Cooker
- 4 chicken thighs, skinless boneless, Note 1
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushroom, of your choice
- 28 oz pasta sauce, of your choice
- Cooked pasta
- Fresh parsley
- Parmesan cheese
- Place frozen chicken thighs on the bottom of the slow cooker in one layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Evenly spread pressed garlic and shallot over the chicken.
- And then add mushrooms.
- Pour pasta sauce evenly over mushrooms. Cook on low for 7-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Serve the chicken with parsley and Parmesan cheese over the pasta.