This seriously easy chicken quesadilla recipe is the perfect way to use up leftover chicken. Throw in some scallions, cilantro, and corn kernels, if you have them on hand, and enjoy a delicious cheesy dinner in minutes!
- Leftover cooked chicken – I like to use boneless chicken breasts for this recipe. But this recipe is so versatile you can use any chicken leftovers you have on hand or other protein.
- Cheese – Pepper Jack cheese is a firm favorite. It’s a semi soft cheese studded with a combination of black pepper and hot chilli peppers. You can however use your cheese of choice anything from Gouda cheese to cheddar cheese works too.
- Tortillas – Traditionally corn tortillas are used but we like to use the wheat flour tortillas. You can buy them in 9- or 10-inch size.
- Corn – You can use both fresh or canned corn. Take a look at my corn 101 for some handy tips.
How to make this recipe:
Get your leftover chicken out and slice it into bite-size pieces. Then take a medium bowl and combine the chicken, cheese, corn, scallions, and cilantro.
Take your tortillas and place about a ¼ of chicken mixture on one half. Leave roughly a ½-inch border at the edge and then fold it over and seal it firmly. Continue until all tortillas have been filled.
Melt butter in a 12-inch non-stick skillet and then place two folded quesadillas side by side in one pan. Cook for roughly 2 minutes on each side.
Remove from heat, slice into wedges and serve with optional salsa, sour cream, and/or guacamole.
How do you seal the edges of quesadillas?
Make sure you have a ½-inch border at the edge with no filling on it and seal it firmly. It’s not great when all the good filling oozes out.
What can I put on my quesadillas?
Quesadillas are really so versatile so feel free to experiment. This can be part of your weekly meal prep as there’re so many variations, so it won’t become a monotonous meal.
- Protein – You can choose from beef, chicken, seafood or vegetables.
- Cheese – Try using different cheeses to experience different flavors.
- Different Tortillas – You can even change up tortilla type, try corn or beetroot.
- Spice them up – I like to add jalapenos.
How do you make them crispy?
I like to use butter in my skillet, but don’t be tempted to add more as they then go soggy. You can also use oil if you prefer it.
Side dish ideas:
- Refried beans – super tasty and here’s my Instant Pot version!
- Cilantro lime rice – this rice is a nice addition to make sure your guests don’t leave hungry.
- This corn salsa adds a nice flavor to the meal.
Finish it off with a refreshing frozen beer margarita.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know once you’ve tried it by leaving a comment below or sharing a photo and tagging @busy_cooks on Instagram!
Easy Chicken Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 cups leftover cooked chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 oz Pepper Jack cheese grated
- ½ cup corn kernels fresh or canned
- 4 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 10-inch flour tortillas
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- Sour cream salsa, and/or guacamole for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, cheese, corn, scallions and cilantro.
- Take ¼ of chicken mixture and spread over half of a tortilla, leaving about ½-inch border at edge. Fold the tortilla over filling, pressing firmly to seal. Continue with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Place 2 quesadillas in the skillet, and cook, firmly pressing with a flat spatula, until tortillas are golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer onto a cutting board, and repeat with the remaining butter and 2 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream and/or guacamole, optional.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Stay connected and join Busy Cooks community:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
Comments + Reviews