This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Homemade Orange Chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons vegetable, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ cup chopped scallions, about 5 scallions
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, +1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, egg white and cornstarch until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the prepared chicken and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger and garlic and cook for a minute.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together chicken stock, orange juice, zest, brown sugar, soy sauce and rice vinegar.
- Stir in the sauce into the chicken and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes. The sauce should be thickened and reduced by almost half.
- In a little bowl, mix cornstarch with water and add it to the simmering chicken. This will thicken the sauce.
- Stir in the scallions and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve over steamed white rice and enjoy!
Homemade Orange Chicken vs Chinese Restaurant Orange Chicken
Raise your hand if you love orange chicken from your favorite Chinese restaurant.
Now you can make one at home just as fast as a takeout! And this homemade orange chicken version is way healthier than the one from a restaurant, because we’re skipping heavy breading and deep frying!
Plus, you know exactly what goes into the recipe. Simply ingredients for unbelievably tasty dish!
What cut of chicken should I use for homemade orange chicken?
We highly recommend boneless skinless chicken thighs over chicken breast meat. The result is super tender chicken bites smothered in sweet and salty orange sauce. The BEST!
And to create that irresistible crunchy chicken, we’re treating the chicken meat with cornstarch and egg whites. Then we shallow fry the chicken to create an amazing light crisp texture.
TIP: Make sure to heat the oil well before adding the chicken, or you may steam the meat making a soggy mess.
Also don’t forget to cook some plain rice! Simple jasmine rice pairs fabulously with this deliciously sweet and salty orange chicken.