This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
We transformed a classic stuffing recipe into an easy peasy Instant Pot Sausage Stuffing. Generous portions of flavorful fluffy sausage stuffing in less than 1 hour.
Because stuffing is made with dried bread and it soaks up all the liquid in the recipe, we can’t cook it straight in the Instant Pot. Without enough liquid, Instant Pot can’t come to pressure. This is where we use pot in pot cooking method that we’ve discussed earlier this week.
Though we do use pot in pot cooking, we’ll start with sautéing the sausage and vegetables in the stainless steel inner pot of Instant Pot first.
Then we’ll transfer the mixture into insert pans (we’ll use 2!) after mixing the sausage mixture with bread and egg/stock mixture.
These stackable insert pans are perfect for this recipe, because it allows us to cook full portion of stuffing that’ll easily feed 10 people. And if you get leftover stuffing, do make this fabulous leftover stuffing breakfast casserole.
Instant Pot Sausage Stuffing
- 1 lb Italian sausage, removed from casings (I used mild Italian sausage)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 4 medium celery ribs, chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 10 cups 10oz/300gr plain stuffing bread (Note 1)
- 2 cups 480ml chicken or turkey stock, divided
- 3 large eggs
- Place the stuffing bread in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Set the Instant Pot* to sauté.
- Add the sausage and cook it, breaking it up, until cooked, about 10 minutes. (If sausage is sticking too much, add ¼ cup of water.)
- Transfer the sausage onto a plate.
- Add butter into the Instant Pot.
- Once butter is melted, add onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the seasonings and parsley and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in the sausage. Then transfer the mixture into the bowl with stuffing bread. If possible, cover it, so that bread gets warmed up and softens.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and chicken stock.
- Pour it over the bread and sausage mixture and toss to combine.
- Replace the stainless steel insert back into the Instant Pot. Place a trivet and pour at least 1 cup of water.
- Close the lid, make sure it’s in sealing position. Set the Instant Pot to Manual, high pressure, 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release, and carefully remove the inserted pans.