Instant Pot Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Tortellini
Flavored with sweet-tart sun-dried tomatoes, this Instant Pot creamy chicken tortellini takes minutes to make and is bursting with flavor. Concentrated flavors of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes along with cheese give this weeknight meal that addicting taste of comfort food. Easy, quick and irresistibly delicious weeknight pasta for the whole family to enjoy!
- 4oz sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained (reserve 1 tablespoon oil)
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon basil paste* (Note 1)
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste, or minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups chicken stock, hot* (Note 2)
- 20oz refrigerated cheese tortellini* (Note 3)
- 1 cup (2oz) parmesan cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Handful of fresh spinach, optional
- Chop the drained sun-dried tomatoes into strips. (Skip this step if your tomatoes are already sliced.)
- Cut the chicken breasts into small cubes.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté.
- When the display reads “HOT”, add reserved oil from sun-dried tomatoes.
- When the oil is hot, put cubed chicken and brown for couple minutes.
- Stir in basil paste, garlic paste, Italian seasoning and salt. Cook for another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Pour ½ cup of chicken stock and stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and remaining chicken stock. Mix everything.
- Add tortellini. Push down the pasta without stirring. (It’s ok if they are not completely covered.)
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing”.
- Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual for 5 minutes on high. (NOTE: It took 9 minutes for my IP to come to pressure.)
- Do quick release by carefully turning the valve to venting. And carefully open the lid.
- Add heavy cream, parmesan cheese and spinach, if using. Cover and let sit for a minute. (NOTE: It’ll appear a bit soupy, but the sauce will get absorbed in pasta and thicken as you stir.)
- Mix well and serve.
Note 1: You can substitute 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped basil leaves.
Note 2: Warm up chicken stock in microwave while working on step 1-6. It helps to expedite the time for Instant Pot to come to pressure. You’ll save at least 5 minutes!!
Note 3: You can use frozen, refrigerated or dry tortellini. Any short pasta works too.
One-pot meals are awesome!
And it’s even more awesome when that one pot is Instant Pot! Because food cooks extra fast under pressure. Hands-free!!
You’ll need less than 5 minutes to prepare the ingredients, plus another 5 minutes building flavors in the pot, and then Instant Pot does the rest of work for you! You can sit back and enjoy that glass of wine for the next 15 minutes. Or if you’re like me, keep those little ones entertained until dinner time.
And here’re step by step visuals to make the most irresistible Instant Pot creamy chicken tortellini: