This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Roasting mushrooms and cherry tomatoes before tossing with tortellini adds great flavor to this pesto tortellini dish with very little extra work. And of course, pesto brings everything together with its wonderful herby bright flavors!
With the temperature rising, it is time for a Summer favorite pesto tortellini. All you need is 30 minutes for a delicious main meal, filled with healthy hidden goodness. And that’s it no sides or extra fuss and you’re done!
PESTO TORTELLINI INGREDIENTS:
This simple recipe calls for basic ingredients: tortellini, a good pesto, cherry tomatoes, and mushrooms.
I do prefer fresh Pesto, but if you can get a good quality jarred version that will work too.
CAN I USE SHELF STABLE OR FROZEN TORTELLINI PASTA?
The choice really is yours as it comes down to taste. So choose what works for you.
Follow the package directions.
HOW TO MAKE PESTO TORTELLINI:
It is so simple, you are going to wish you tried it sooner!
- Step 1. Combine the tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, and olive oil, transfer it onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 2. Cook the tortellini and once done drain it.
- Step 3. Mix the roasted vegetables and pesto into the tortellini and serve.
TIP: The pesto does not need to be cooked, so all you need to do is toss it in and serve warm.
It does not get simpler than this!
CAN I ADD IN OTHER VEGETABLES?
This dish is so versatile you can add in other vegetables like spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, and even a variety of cheeses. Mix it up on your weekly meal rotation and your family will think they are enjoying a different meal.
HOW TO REHEAT PESTO TORTELLINI:
If you have leftovers, then you can either choose to eat it cold straight from the fridge, or else you can warm it up again.
To warm it up again, bear in mind that the pesto is not meant to be cooked.
- Step 1. Heat up a large sauté pan with butter or olive oil over low heat.
- Step 2. Add the pasta (you may need to batch warm it up, depending on how much you have leftover).
- Step 3. As the pasta starts to warm up add in about a ¼ cup of water.
- Step 4. Stir it and once the liquid has absorbed, remove, and serve.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know once you’ve tried it by leaving a comment below or sharing a photo and tagging @busy_cooks on Instagram!
Pesto Tortellini with Roasted Veggies
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 20 oz tortellini, refrigerated or frozen
- 1/3 cup basil pesto sauce, Note 1
- Grated parmesan for serving, optional
- To roast the vegetables: preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine mushrooms, tomatoes, olive oil, pressed garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with silicone mat or foil. Bake for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- To cook tortellini: meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and tortellini, and cook according to package directions, for about 8-10 minutes. Drain the water.
- Stir in pesto.
- Then add roasted mushrooms and tomatoes into the pot with tortellini. Mix well.
- To serve, top with grated parmesan, if desired, and serve immediately
This recipe was originally published on February 19th, 2018, and last updated on June 4th, 2020.