This easy chicken noodle soup is a super quick comfort food that is ready in less than 30 minutes! The rich and flavorful taste is thanks to my homemade chicken stock. And it’s really easy to change things up with different vegetables, noodles, and herbs! This’s going to be one of your favorite recipes – quick, easy and wholesome! Warm up with a bowl of chicken noodle soup in less than 30 minutes!
As always, step by step photos and lots more tips are below the recipe…
This chicken noodle soup recipe is so quick to make and is a one-pan dish making weeknight dinners easier.
Plus, it’s SO kid-friendly! My kids love this simple soup and seconds are often on the cards. They’re hungry growing boys! Not sure what pasta to use for which dish? Here’s my Pasta 101 guide.
Follow my step by step photos below and find out other additional helpful tips!
Chicken Noodle Soup Ingredients
One of the advantages of this soup is that the ingredients are totally flexible. You can add or remove whatever vegetable you want.
- Chicken stock – It’s essential to use a high quality chicken stock for this recipe to make it as quick and flavorful as it can be! My homemade Instant Pot chicken stock is easy to prepare and ideal for this recipe.
- Chicken – Leftover rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken breast is a great time-saver. But you can still use raw chicken breast for this soup. If using raw chicken breast, chop it into bite-size pieces and sauté with vegetables.
- Carrots are staple in my chicken soup.
- Celery is another staple, but it’s no big deal if left out.
- Bok choy is totally optional. I added it here, because I was out of celery.
- Fat/oil – Feel free to use any kind of oil: avocado oil, vegetable oil, olive oil. Chicken fat, rendered from a homemade chicken stock, is another great option that adds a great flavor!
- Parmesan rind is another optional ingredient, but it adds such a nice savory touch to the soup! TIP: Whenever you end up with parmesan rind, throw it in a freezer bag and store in the freezer!
- Noodles – As mentioned above, you can use any kind of pasta or noodles. Change things up with different pasta shapes, like ditalini, or long noodles to make the soup fun and exciting for the little ones!
How to Make Chicken Noodle Soup
To make this deliciously heart chicken noodle soup, all you need to do is combine the ingredients in a dutch oven and enjoy the wholesome end result!
TIP: For extra flavor, saute the vegetables for a few minutes before adding the stock!
What can I add to my Chicken Noodle Soup?
Let’s start with the basics.
- Ensure you have added enough salt and pepper. Too little salt makes the flavors of your soup hidden.
- The recipe has fresh parsley and thyme in it, but you can also add in other fresh seasonings like rosemary or sage.
TIP: If you have no fresh herbs on hand, try adding in dried parsley, dried thyme, dried chives, onion powder, and/or garlic powder. Add only a little at a time as it can overpower the soup.
You really can go to town on all the optional additions you can add, so why not give some a try?
- Add in some soy sauce for a more enhanced flavor in place of some of the salt.
- Stir in or sprinkle on some spicy pepper jack cheese.
- A touch of fish sauce is another great option for depth of flavor.
- If you want to make it creamier, consider adding in 2-4 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Want a bit more veggies? Add in spinach or kale at the end of cooking.
- If you prefer not using pasta then look at adding in potatoes, winter squash, rice, quinoa or other grains.
How can I spice up the Chicken Noodle Soup?
If you like a little more heat add cracked pepper, sriracha or crushed red chili flakes.
How can I make the broth more flavorful?
In my opinion, nothing beats homemade chicken broth. I’ve shared 2 secrets for a flavorful, nutrient-rich chicken stock here.
But if you don’t have an Instant Pot, or are short on time, you can use a jar of better-than-bullion, a flavorful chicken stock base that I absolutely love!
I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Let me know once you’ve tried it by leaving a comment below or sharing a photo and tagging @busy_cooks on Instagram!
Quick Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or chicken fat from stock (Note 1)
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 1-2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1-2 celery ribs
- 6 cups homemade chicken stock Note 2
- Parmesan rind optional (Note 3)
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast Note 4
- 4 oz egg noodles or dry udon noodles (Note 5)
- 2 baby bok choy optional
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil or chicken fat.
- When the oil is hot, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until softened, 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken stock and thyme and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, noodles and bok choy, if using. Cook until noodles are cooked 4-8 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in parsley and serve.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Stay connected and join Busy Cooks community:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
Comments + Reviews