5-Ingredient Saffron Rice
An easy way to upgrade regular rice side dish. Just a pinch of saffron, bloomed in hot water and added to a toasted rice, magically transforms plain rice into beautiful golden colored rice with a delicate floral notes.
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads* (Note 1)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup rice (preferably basmati rice, but jasmine rice will work too)
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock without salt
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put saffron threads in a small bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Let it to bloom for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan with a lid over medium high heat.
- Add rice and cook it for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add stock, salt, and saffron with its water.
- Cover and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Don’t open the lid while rice is cooking.
- Carefully fluff it with a wooden spoon and serve.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 203 Calories
- Total Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Sodium: 424.5mg
- Carbohydrates: 30.6g
- Sugar: 1.7g
- Protein: 4.2g