This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Every bite of these pillowy soft loaded mashed potato patties is heavenly! Cheesy, fluffy and loaded with bacon, these simple potato patties with crisp crust are a crowd-pleaser! The secret to extra-fluffy potato cakes lies in baking powder.
No more reheated mashed potatoes!!! Transform the leftover mashed potatoes into deliciously soft potato patties loaded with cheese, bacon and everything in between!
Seriously this recipe is just a starting point. From here you can add and experiment with different add-ins of your choice.
Mashed Potato Pattie Variations:
Here’re some suggestions to try with your loaded mashed potato patties:
- Add chopped green onions.
- Instead of bacon, use ham.
- Replace dried herbs with fresh ones.
- Use different kinds of cheeses. Havarti, Swiss, gouda, Monterey-Jack, pepper jack are all great options. TIP: try to use a combination of melty and hard cheeses for best results.
- Finely chopped jalapeno is great for those who loves spicy!
The BEST Loaded Mashed Potato Patties
- 2 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese*, Note 1
- 4 bacon strips*, chopped and cooked (Note 2)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*, Note 3
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheeses, bacon, egg, flour, parsley, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop about ¼ cup of potato mixture into the hot skillet, 3-4 patties at a time. Flatten each potato mixture into a patty.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until nice and golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked potato patties on to wire rack lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with the remainder of potato mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Serve hot with a side of sour cream, if desired. If not serving right away, you can keep the potato cakes warm in the oven at 200°F.