This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
The BEST Loaded Mashed Potato Patties
- 2 cups cold leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup grated cheese*, Note 1
- 4 bacon strips*, chopped and cooked (Note 2)
- 1 egg
- ½ cup all-purpose flour*, Note 3
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix together mashed potatoes, cheeses, bacon, egg, flour, parsley, garlic powder, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 2-3 tablespoons of oil over medium high heat.
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop about ¼ cup of potato mixture into the hot skillet, 3-4 patties at a time. Flatten each potato mixture into a patty.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until nice and golden brown.
- Transfer the cooked potato patties on to wire rack lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat with the remainder of potato mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- Serve hot with a side of sour cream, if desired. If not serving right away, you can keep the potato cakes warm in the oven at 200°F.
No more reheated mashed potatoes!!! Transform the leftover mashed potatoes into deliciously soft potato patties loaded with cheese, bacon and everything in between!
Seriously this recipe is just a starting point. From here you can add and experiment with different add-ins of your choice.
Here’re some suggestions to try with your loaded mashed potato patties:
- Add chopped green onions.
- Instead of bacon, use ham.
- Replace dried herbs with fresh ones.
- Use different kinds of cheeses. Havarti, Swiss, gouda, Monterey-Jack, pepper jack are all great options. TIP: try to use a combination of melty and hard cheeses for best results.
- Finely chopped jalapeno is great for those who loves spicy!