Why you’ll love this recipe:
My boys are absolutely obsessed with this soup. They’re first drawn to the crunchy Fritos, then they stay for the flavorful soup! And there’s more to love about this comforting soup:
- It’s quick and easy – This recipe calls for simple everyday ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes with very little prep!!
- It’s so tasty – Unlike many popular (and surely delicious!) creamy white chicken chilis with heavy cream and cream cheese, this version doesn’t call any of that. Yet, it’s still plenty hearty and deliciously satisfying!
- Highly customizable – Seriously, you can prepare this soup with any kind of chicken and beans. Serve it with whatever toppings your heart desires! Everyone gets to choose how to enjoy a bowl of this hearty soup.
This white chicken chili is, hands down, one of our family’s favorite soups!!
- Chicken – I like to use boneless and skinless chicken breast, but you can also use chicken thighs too. Or use leftover rotisserie chicken on those busy weeknights. If you’ve forgotten to take the chicken out, here’s how to cook chicken in the instant pot when it’s frozen.
- Lime juice – The secret to the amazing flavor is a squeeze of lime juice! Lime juice brightens and intensifies the flavors. Don’t skip it!
- Salsa is another secret to maximum flavor. Use your favorite salsa, store-bought or homemade!
- Beans – You can use any beans you like or combination of beans, like pinto, white, black, and/or Great Northern. In this recipe, I used 1 can of black beans and 1 can of Great Northern. If you prefer, you can soak your own beans, I just find canned beans are a time-saver!
How to make white chicken chili recipe:
Sauté the onions until translucent and then add in the chicken along with seasoning.
Add beans, salsa and chicken broth and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes.
Squeeze in fresh lime juice to brighten up the flavor.
Salsa and a squeeze of lime juice are the secret to well-rounded maximum flavor with less ingredients. Don’t skip it!
If you like thicker soup, use an immersion blender to give it a quick blend. You don’t want to blend all of it, just a little to give the soup a little body. Serve it with your favorite toppings.
- Add garlic along with chicken to prevent them from burning.
- Sautéing the spices with chicken blooms them for more intense aromatic flavor.
- Salsa adds tons of flavor in this white chicken chili recipe with minimum ingredients. Use the brand you love and trust.
- Good quality broth goes a long way. You can use homemade chicken stock, or “Better than Bullion” chicken stock base.
- Let the chili cool slightly and then store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- You can also freeze this white chicken chili for up to 3 months.
I like to use my immersion blender to thicken the soup up a bit. You can also use corn starch.
We like to add Monterey Jack cheese, jalapeno, cilantro, tortilla chips, sour cream, and avocado.
Place it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes per serving, stirring it halfway. You can also reheat it in a pot on the stove.
Weeknight Soup Recipes
If you love serving soup, check out our family favorite quick and easy soup recipes.
White Chicken Chili
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 lb chicken breast boneless and skinless, Note 1
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken stock Note 2
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder optional, Note 3
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 (14oz) cans of beans with juices, Note 4
- 1/2 lime
- Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- Cilantro fresh
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add onion and saute until softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, garlic and spices and cook until chicken is mostly cooked, about 4 minutes. Add beans, salsa and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the juice of half a lime. Optional :If desired, blend the soup with an immersion blender to thicken it. And serve with your favorite toppings.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Stay connected and join Busy Cooks community:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
Comments + Reviews