This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
This white chicken chili recipe is truly a keeper: quick and easy, loaded with flavors and texture. Not to mention how healthy it is!! Incredibly satisfying soup for cold nights.
Everyone can customize their soup at the dinner table with variety of toppings.
The secret to the amazing flavor is salsa and a squeeze of lime juice! Salsa adds ton of flavor, and lime juice brightens and intensifies the flavors. Don’t skip it!
This white chicken chili is, hands down, one of our family’s favorite soups!!
My boys (2 and 4) are absolutely obsessed with this soup. They’re first drawn to the crunchy Fritos, then they stay for the flavorful soup!
Why you’ll love this white chili recipe:
- Quick and easy – This recipe calls for simple everyday ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes with very little prep!!
- Healthy – Unlike many popular (and surely delicious!) creamy white chicken chilis with heavy cream and cream cheese, this version doesn’t call any of that. Yet, it’s still plenty hearty and deliciously satisfying!
- Highly customizable – Seriously, you can prepare this soup with any kind of chicken and beans. Serve it with whatever toppings your heart desires! Everyone gets to choose how to enjoy a bowl of this hearty soup.
Tips for flavorful soup:
- Add garlic along with chicken to prevent them from burning.
- Sautéing the spices with chicken blooms them, which is great for more flavor!
- Salsa adds ton of flavor, so use the brand you love and trust.
- Good quality broth goes a long way. You can use homemade chicken stock, or “Better than Bullion” chicken stock base.
White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless, Note 1
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, optional, Note 2
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 (14oz) cans of beans, with juices, Note 3
- 1/2 lime
- Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Cilantro, fresh
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add oil. Once hot, add onion and saute until softened and aromatic, about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken, garlic and spices and cook until chicken is mostly cooked, about 4 minutes. Add beans, salsa and chicken broth. Stir well.
- Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Then reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in the juice of half a lime. If desired, blend the soup with an immersion blender to thicken it. And serve with your favorite toppings.