This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
How to cook pearl couscous – quick and easy method to make deliciously nutty and chewy toasted couscous. Your new favorite side dish on a busy weeknight!
Jazz up your dinner menu without spending extra time. This versatile grain-like pasta is loved by kids and adults alike.
Once you master this basic cooking method, try it with different spices, herbs and flavors! Possibilities are endless!
How to Cook Pearl Couscous
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups pearl couscous , Note 1
- 2 ½ cups broth, Note 2
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add butter.
- Once butter is melted, add couscous and sauté until nice and golden, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes.
- Add broth and bring it to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and couscous is soft.
WHAT IS PEARL COUSCOUS?
Pearl couscous (also known as Israeli couscous) is a grain-like pasta, shaped in small balls. Not to be confused with Moroccan couscous, pearl couscous is larger in size and chewier, and therefore they take a bit longer time to cook.
As mentioned in Grains 101 guide, couscous is not a true grain, but they’re made with semolina or Durum wheat flour. Therefore, they’re basically tiny little pasta balls.
HOW TO COOK PEARL COUSCOUS:
While you can definitely skip the toasting step, I highly recommend to take this extra step, especially if you’re planning to serve it as a side dish. Toasting adds beautiful golden color and enhances the nutty flavor!
- Step 1: Melt butter in a preheated saucepan over medium high heat.
- Step 2: Add couscous and sauté until nice and golden, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes.
TIP: Make sure to stir couscous frequently, while toasting to avoid burning.
- Step 3: Add broth and bring it to a simmer.
- Step 4: Reduce heat to simmer and cover the pot. Continue to cook for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and couscous is soft.
HOW TO STORE COOKED PEARL COUSCOUS:
- Refrigerate cooked couscous in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
HOW TO SERVE PEARL COUSCOUS / 3 WAYS TO SERVE PEARL COUSCOUS / SERVING IDEAS
Pearl couscous is incredibly versatile and can be used in many different dishes.
Here’re my favorite ways to use them:
- Toss cooked pearl couscous in a salad, like this Summer Israeli Couscous Salad
- Make a grain bowl: mix with different vegetables and protein
- Simple side dish