This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
This Instant Pot butternut squash soup with ravioli is a creamy autumn comfort food. From start to finish, it only takes about 40 minutes.Today, we’re having a beautiful autumn pasta soup. Yeah, luxuriously creamy Instant Pot butternut squash soup with delicious cheese ravioli. Butternut squash is truly the most flavorful squash of all!
Generally, butternut squash takes a while to soften, but thanks to our Instant Pot (<- this is the model I have), it cooks in just 10 minutes!!! Yep, it takes the same amount of time as it cooks those ravioli! Crazy, right? And not to worry, pasta isn’t overcooked. Just make sure to do a quick release here.
When pasta with red sauce gets boring, grab that beautiful butternut squash and make this hearty comfort food in less than 1 hour. And everything comes together in ONE POT!
DO I NEED A BLENDER TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP?
No, you don’t need a blender for this recipe. Most of the squash falls apart as you stir, and soup thickens on its own after you stir in cream and parmesan cheese. And then I suggest to let it sit for 10-15 minutes before serving.
CAN I USE FROZEN BUTTERNUT SQUASH?
Yes, sure you can. Or you can use fresh pre-cut butternut squash from refrigerated section at your grocery store. Or if you plan it ahead, you can peel and cut a fresh butternut squash yourself. That’s what I usually do. Here’s an easy tutorial how to prepare butternut squash.
WHAT KIND OF RAVIOLI SHOULD I USE?
In this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup, you can use fresh or frozen ravioli, filled with whatever filling you like. I love cheese filled ravioli the best.
I haven’t experimented with dry ravioli though.
CAN I ADD CHICKEN IN THIS SOUP?
Absolutely! Leftover cooked chicken (or turkey) can be added after the pasta is cooked. Or, you can add chopped raw chicken breast in with the shallots and butternut squash in step 3.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVERS?
While we won’t recommend freezing this butternut squash soup with ravioli, it holds up pretty good in the fridge for up to 5 days. Place the leftover soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply microwave for 2-3 minutes and enjoy!
Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup with Ravioli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ cups cubed butternut squash, about 1lb
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock, or vegetable stock
- 20 oz ravioli, Note 1
- 3 fresh sage leaves, or ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup (1oz) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté.
- When the display reads “HOT”, add olive oil in inner pot.
- Then add shallot and butternut squash. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add stock, ravioli, sage and salt.
- Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual for 10 minutes on high. (NOTE: It took 18-20 minutes for my IP to come to pressure.)
- To prevent ravioli from overcooking, do a quick pressure release, by turning the valve to venting position.
- Carefully open the lid. Remove the sage leaves.
- Carefully stir everything. It’ll be soupy, but don’t worry. Butternut squash will fall apart and thicken everything, as you stir.
- Stir in cream and Parmesan cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, covered. The sauce will thicken and be absorbed into ravioli, as it rests.