Highly customizable, this Instant Pot refried beans are a total game-changer. In less than an hour and 15 minutes, you’ll get the most flavorful refried beans tailored exactly to your taste. If you like refried beans, you’re in for a treat here! We’re making the tastiest refried beans completely from scratch. And in less than 75 minutes!!!
We’ve talked about cooking dried pinto beans in an Instant Pot in this post. Check it out for all the details. Also if you would like to learn more about beans, read this post and start incorporating delicious beans in your diet!
Once you try homemade refried beans made completely from scratch, you’ll never go back to canned ones.
And instead of just mashing more flavorings and fat into the cooked beans right into the Instant Pot, we like to take an extra step by actually frying the beans in the skillet.
It’s sooo much better this way!
Refried beans are such a perfect side dish and compliment all kinds of Mexican dishes.
You can top your refried beans with dice tomatoes or avocado slices. Some like to drizzle fresh lime juice. Shredded cheese and sour cream are fantastic as well!
Say “bye” to canned refried beans, and say “hello” to FLAVORS!!
By the way, this is a perfect side dish for this Instant Pot salsa chicken.
Instant Pot Refried Beans
- ½ lb (1 cup) dry pinto beans (Note 1)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 3 cups boiling water or chicken broth (Note 2)
- ¼ cup bacon fat or vegetable oil (Note 3)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- To cook the beans, rinse the beans in a colander to remove dirt and debris.
- Put the rinsed beans in inner pot of Instant Pot.
- Add salt and taco seasoning.
- Pour in the water.
- Close the lid, turn the knob to sealing, set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cooker/Manual for 25 minutes on high. (It took about 10 minutes for the pot to come to pressure.)
- Once the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally, which means let it sit for about 25 minutes. You can unplug the pot. Once the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- To make refried beans, heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add oil and heat it until shimmering.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Mix in cumin and chili powder, and then add the cooked beans. (Reserve some cooking water to thin the beans later, if needed.) Cook until beans are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Mash the beans with a potato masher for chunkier texture. Or use an immersion blender if you like smoother refried beans. Add bean cooking liquid to achieve the desired consistency. Salt to taste.
- Serve the refried beans as a side dish topped with avocado, tomatoes, cilantro, cheese and/or drizzle of lime juice.
- Store the refried beans in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to a month.
* Disclaimer: All nutrition information are estimates only. Read full nutrition disclosure.
Sharing of this recipe is encouraged and appreciated. Copying of full recipe to any social media is prohibited.
Stay connected and join Busy Cooks community:
FACEBOOK | PINTEREST | INSTAGRAM
Comments + Reviews