How to Cook Rice in the Instant Pot
A complete guide on how to cook rice in Instant Pot. Cook perfectly fluffy white, or brown rice every time, and learn how to store them properly to enjoy throughout the week.
Step by step photos and helpful information is included below the recipe.
- 2 cups white or brown long grain rice (Note 1)
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- Place the rice in the inner pot of your Instant Pot. Add cold water and swirl the rice around to rinse. Carefully pour off the water. Repeat the rinsing until the water runs mostly clear.
- Drain the water really well.
- Add 2 cups of cold water, olive oil, and salt.
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to “sealing”.
- Set the Instant Pot to Manual/Pressure Cook for 5 minutes for white rice, or 15 minutes for brown rice. (NOTE: It took about 8 minutes for my IP to come to pressure.)
- Once the time is up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes for white rice or 15 minutes for brown rice, and then carefully turn the valve to venting. Once the pin drops, carefully open the lid.
- Fluff the rice with a wooden spoon, or fork.
- Store the cooled rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Note 1: Measure the rice using a standard measuring cups for baking, not with a cup that came with Instant Pot. 1 cup of rice should weigh 200gr/7oz.
Note 2: This recipe has been tested in my favorite Instant Pot DUO 6qt.
Let me show you how to cook rice in Instant Pot every time! Cooking a batch of white, or brown rice on the weekend is a great time saver on a busy weeknight, and I hope you’ll include this recipe in your meal prep routine.
Continue reading for the tips on storing and freezing cooked rice.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, I’ve shared my go-to stovetop rice recipe before.
HOW MUCH RICE CAN I COOK IN MY INSTANT POT?
Your Instant Pot should NOT be filled more than 2/3 of its full capacity at any time, so I suggest you cook in batches, if you need a large amount.
- 2 cups uncooked rice in a 3-quart.
- 4 cups uncooked rice in a 6 quart.
- 6 cups uncooked rice in an 8-quart.
HOW TO COOK RICE IN THE INSTANT POT
Cooking white and brown rice in Instant Pot is pretty much the same, except for the cooking time. Brown rice requires significantly longer time, but everything else is the same.
- Step 1. Rinse and drain the rice well. (I recommend rinsing the rice for fluffier result.)
- Step 2. Add 2 cups of cold water, olive oil, and salt. (Alternatively, you can use stock for more flavor.)
- Step 3. Close the pot and set the pot to Manual/Pressure Cook for 5 minutes for white rice, and 15 minutes for brown rice. Let the pressure cooker release the pressure naturally for 10-15 minutes.
- Step 4. Fluff the rice with a fork and serve!
CAN I USE THE RICE FUNCTION ON MY INSTANT POT?
You can, but here’s why we don’t.
It’s designed for mostly white rice and as with anything automated, it doesn’t always perform well. So to take things in our control, we set the pot manually for more consistent results!
HOW LONG DOES RICE TAKE IN THE INSTANT POT?
- 5 minutes for white rice, followed by 10 minutes NPR.
- 15 minutes for brown rice, followed by 15 minutes NPR.
NPR stands for Natural Pressure Release, which means simply let the Instant Pot sit untouched after the cooking time is up. On the display, if it reads L00:10, it means it’s been 10 minutes NPR. Then you turn the valve to “venting” to release the remaining pressure before opening the lid.
It’s important to let pressure cooker release pressure naturally for the specified time, because it’s still part of the cooking time.
HOW TO STORE LEFTOVER RICE
In the fridge
Place the cooked rice in an airtight storage container or ziplock bag and refrigerate promptly. Leaving cooked food out at room temperature for more than 2 hours is not advised, as moisture and room temperature is a breeding ground for bacteria.
Cooked rice can be safely stored for 3 days in the fridge.
In the freezer
Cool the rice in an airtight storage container in the fridge and then place and then place it in the freezer. Store it for up to 1 month.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH RICE:
Rice is a great side dish to so many meals. Here’re a few ideas:
- Chinese Chicken Stir Fry
- Homemade Orange Chicken
- Creamy Coconut Shrimp
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala
- 30-Minute Spring Coconut Curry
RECIPES WITH LEFTOVER RICE:
Rice is the perfect complement to so many dishes!!! Why not give these recipes a try: