This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Luxuriously creamy Instant Pot risotto with mushrooms requires minimum stirring and comes together quick and easy! Endless possibilities to customize it for your family.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT RISOTTO:
Instant Pot Risotto couldn’t be easier and quicker! Especially, if you sautéed some mushrooms as part of your meal prep, then you’ll save yourself at least 5 minutes!
- Saute garlic, shallots and mushrooms right in the Instant Pot.
- Add rice and toast for a few minutes, then add splash of wine. Cook until the liquid is absorbed.
- Then add stock and pressure cook for 6 minutes, followed by quick pressure release.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and parsley and serve!
Arborio is the most common short-grain rice for risotto that is high in starch, which makes the risotto creamy and thick. You can’t substitute long grain rice, such as jasmine, for risotto. It just won’t work. With regular long grain rice, you won’t get that quintessential creamy texture of risotto.
No, you shouldn’t wash the arborio rice for risotto, because you need all the starch for that creamy goodness.
You can use variety of mushrooms for even more robust flavor, but simple portabella, or white button mushroom are perfect for an everyday meal.
Also, if you have leftover rotisserie chicken on hand, toss them in! It makes a great addition. Cooked shrimp and scallops make a great addition to this risotto. Just stir it in at the end.
Leftover cold risotto loses its creaminess and becomes quite thick. To bring back the creaminess, simply add a little bit of chicken or vegetable stock and reheat on stovetop or microwave. It’ll be nice and creamy again!
Instant Pot Risotto with Mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 5 oz sliced portabella mushroom
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, optional
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Hit "sear" button on Instant Pot. Once the display reads "HOT" and add olive oil and melt the butter in the pot.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. (Alternatively, if you sauteed mushrooms in advance, skip this step and add the mushrooms in step 5.)
- Stir in rice and toast lightly, about 3 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until almost evaporated, 1 minute or so.
- Add 3 ½ cups of broth and give it a good stir, scraping up the bottom.
- Close the lid and set it to Manual/Pressure Cook for 6 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to "sealing". (It took about 10 minutes for my IP to come to pressure.) As soon as timer is up, do a quick release pressureby carefully turning the valve to "venting". Carefully open the lid.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If needed, add the reserved broth to achieve the desired consistency.