This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy here.
Extra cheesy Philly cheese steak grilled cheese – an easy, yet indulgent dinner in less than 15 minutes! Slicing the steak into extra-thin slices expedites the cooking time tremendously. And if you don’t have softened butter, reach for the mayo to smear on bread for that deliciously crisp texture!
Time-Saving Tips for Perfect Steak Grilled Cheese:
- Thinly sliced meat cooks in minutes. Make sure to slice the meat into super thin slices. Almost like shaved. To achieve that, you’ll need semi-frozen steak and a sharp knife. I’ll include the detailed directions in the recipe below.
- Mayo is a great substitute if you don’t have softened butter. Actually, I prefer mayo over butter for grilled cheese. But it’s totally up to you which one you choose, but whatever you do, don’t skip this step. Buttering, or mayo-ing (?) the bread yields super crispy, almost caramelized texture that’s crucial for a good grilled cheese! I’d even say, forget the melted cheese, that caramelized crunch is the best part of grilled cheese.
Philly Cheese Steak Grilled Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb ribeye steak , thinly sliced, Note 1
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 oz Provolone cheese, grated, Note 2
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 4 tablespoons mayo, or softened butter
- 8 slices American cheese
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add thinly sliced steak and sprinkle salt. Cook the meat until cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add grated provolone cheese.
- Spread ½ tablespoon of mayo on one side of each bread slice.
- Heat a skillet on medium high.
- Place a slice of bread with mayo side down.
- Layer one slice of American cheese, then ¼ of steak and cheese mixture, another slice of American cheese and top with second slice of bread with mayo side up.
- Once the bottom bread is nicely browned, carefully flip the entire sandwich. (I used 2 spatulas to keep everything in place.)
- Cook the sandwich until the cheese is melted and bread is nicely browned, pressing it with spatula to flatten the sandwich.
- Continue with the remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.