Tequila Lime Scallops with Angel Hair Pasta
Cooking scallops takes literally minutes, and that’s why it makes a perfect weeknight meal. Combined with zesty buttery tequila lime sauce and angel hair pasta, these seared scallops dinner is nothing but boring!
- 12 sea scallops (thawed, if frozen)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup tequila
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- ¼ cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
- 8oz angel hair pasta
- To prepare scallops, wash the scallops under cold water. Thoroughly dry the scallops with paper towel and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- To cook the pasta, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for pasta. Cook pasta al dante, according to package directions.
- To cook scallops, in a large cast iron, or stainless steel skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and olive oil over medium high heat. (I suggest using large 12-inch skillet to give plenty of room for scallops.)
- Add the scallops to sizzling hot skillet making sure the scallops don’t touch each other.
- Sear the scallops for about 2 minutes without disruption until golden crust forms. If the scallops are stuck to the pan, that means they are not ready. Don’t force it.
- Using kitchen tongs, flip the scallops and cook the other side for another 2 minutes. The center of the scallops should be slightly translucent. (Tip: Be careful not to overcook the scallops. Overcooked scallops are chewy and rubbery. Not good!) Remove the scallops onto a clean plate, cover and set aside.
- To make the tequila lime sauce, remove the skillet in which you cooked the scallops from heat and carefully add tequila and lime juice. (Be careful, as it will bubble up rapidly!)
- Return the skillet back to medium heat, add garlic and cook the sauce until it reduced by half, scraping up the browned bits from the scallops.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and cilantro.
- Add drained pasta and toss to combine. Add scallops and serve immediately.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 3 scallops
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 720 Calories
- Total Fat: 21.6g
- Cholesterol: 30.5mg
- Sodium: 591.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 87.8g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Sugar: 3.6g
- Protein: 28.1g